I am a liberal. I believe in individual freedom and limited government. I think government should provide internal and external security (police and army) and ensure that each citizen has basic necessities to survive (food and a place to live) and has access to basic health care and basic education. Outside of that, government should not interfere with individual`s life.
(More precisely, I'm somewhere between classical liberal (or libertarian) and social liberal. Term "Bleeding Heart Libertarian" might be close. My score on World`s Smallest Political Quiz: Personal Self-Government 100%, Economic Self-Government 80%.)
Some miscellaneous points:
- Government should not grant monopolies, privileges or subsidies to any particular company, industry, organization or religious group.
- Law should not contain victimless crimes.
- Direct democracy is better than representative democracy.
- Even the best of democracies is still tyranny by majority. Where possible, decisions should be made individually rather than collectively.
- Electronic Frontier Finland ry
- Organization promoting freedom of speech, personal privacy and user rights in copyright laws.
- Human Rights Watch
- Independent, nongovernmental organization dedicated to protecting human rights and exposing violations. Accepts no government funding, only donations from private individuals and organizations.
- Vapaa-ajattelijain liitto (fi)
- Uskonnottomien järjestö. Tavoitteena molempien valtionkirkkojen erottaminen valtiosta.
Articles and blogs
- Thoughtery (en/fi)
- Liberal blog by Patrick Uotinen. Contains both Finnish and English entries.
- Vapaasana.net (fi)
- Verkkolehti. Runsaasti hyviä artikkeleita.
- World`s Smallest Political Quiz
- To find out where you stand on the political map.
- Voting system-page in Wikipedia
- Plenty of information about different voting systems.
- Äänestämisen ongelmia (fi)
- Veli Peltolan artikkeli tiedelehti Seepiassa.
- Johan Norberg
- Swedish writer, author of In Defence of Global Capitalism. Worth checking is also his Questions and Answers about Capitalism.
- Mikko Särelä (fi)
- Lisää kaupunkia Helsinkiin-ryhmän perustaja. Entinen piraatti, nykyää Vihreissä.
- Sampo Syreeni
- has written a host of interesting texts, some of them political. (fi: Sivuilta löytyy myös suomenkielinen Libertarismi-FAQ.)